Water Use Efficiency Standards
Continued Water Conservation: We Need Your Help!
The City of San Bernardino is recovering from years of severely dry conditions which have made significant impacts to the health of our primary source of water, the Bunker Hill Groundwater Basin.
While San Bernardino residents have done a great job using water more efficiently, to ensure sustainable water supplies for the future, it is essential we work together as a community to continue water saving efforts and embrace water conservation as a way of life. With teamwork, careful planning and stewardship, our resources will continue to support our community well into the future.
Stage 2A Water Use Efficiency Standards
An important component of promoting long-term conservation is reducing outdoor water waste. In an effort to protect our local water supplies and further promote efficient water use the City of San Bernardino Water Board implemented Stage 2A of the San Bernardino Municipal Water Department's water shortage plan as outlined in Rule and Regulation No. 21, Section I (PDF). The following outdoor water use efficiency standards are currently in effect:
- Irrigation is allowed only before 8 a.m. and after 6 p.m. on permitted days.
- Irrigation shall be limited to three days per week; Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays only.
- No watering of outdoor landscapes in a manner that causes excessive runoff.
- Maximum irrigation time of 15 minutes per station per irrigation day.
- Irrigation will be prohibited for a full 48 hours after a significant precipitation event (rainfall in excess of 1/8 inch as measured by the Department) has occurred over the City of San Bernardino. The Department will maintain website notification when this restriction is in place.
- No use of fountains that use potable water, unless that water is recirculated.
- No washing down driveways, sidewalks, or other hardscapes.
- The serving of drinking water other than upon request in eating or drinking establishments including but not limited to restaurants, hotels, cafes, bars, or any other public place where food or drink is served.
- The washing of cars, trucks, or other vehicles is not permitted except with an automatic shut-off nozzle, or at a commercial car washing facility designated for vehicle washing.
- Irrigation of ornamental turf on public street medians is prohibited.
- All hotels/motels shall provide their guests with the option of choosing not to have towels and linens laundered daily. The hotel/motel must prominently display notice of this option in each bathroom using clear and easy to understand language.
- All leaks shall be corrected within 72 hours of Department notification.
To protect our resources and ensure sustainable supplies it is important that we all do our part to change our relationship with water and work together to continue our efforts to conserve it.
The good news is water conservation doesn't have to mean sacrifice. As your water provider, it is our goal to help you on your way to water efficiency. Visit our Water Conservation page to learn more about what you can do to protect our water supplies and how even small changes in our water use can make a big impact.